- Emilio’s a barista at Mugshot Cafe
- Freddie designs and crafts custom, handmade furniture
- Bianca is a bartender at the Lavender Lynx
Very rough sketch of one of the settings in the comic (and Emilio’s possible place of work), Mugshot Cafe, and the place’s owner (and local celebrity), Dave, who’s kind of a blowhard. There’s still a lot more detail—and more accurate perspective—I’d like to get down for the Cafe, but I just wanted to play with one idea for the basic layout right now.
I am pretty jazzed about practicing my lettering.
Second verse, same as the first.
Outfit progress side-by-sides with Freddie, The Engineer, and The Mage.
Clothing set 1 finished!
- Emilio’s style is very casual, lots of sweaters, jeans, hoodies, and slouchy beanies.
- Freddie believes the phrase “fun and flirty” is absolutely corny, but if she had to describe her style, that would be it.
- Bianca loves street style, military jackets, studs (of all varieties), and afropunk. She probably owns about 30 pairs of Doc Martins.
- The Engineer dresses as though he just came out a Steampunk convention, though perhaps without as many clockwork gears.
- The ostentatiousness of The Knight’s armor is purely for fun (and because he’s the kinda guy who would wear it). There’s no way it’d be his actual armor for the comic because my hand is protesting just looking at all the detail.
- The Mage is channeling a waterbender-esque look, though it’s only the first pass. Her outfit is all about showing off her strength and whatever allows her the most movement.
I couldn’t resist throwing some clothes on Freddie and The Engineer really quick before bed. I want to do a few different clothing passes for everyone based on reference I’ve been hoarding over on my Pinterest.
I really want to start drawing some different clothing options on my characters, but before I do that, I had to draw them all in their underoos.
Some comic panel practice. The first two pages are in order, while the second two are in the same scene, but have a middle page missing. Mostly just exercises to see if I could get rhythm and composition flowing and how quickly I could transfer my ideas from script to rough sketches.
Also, spoilers, I guess, but besides Freddie’s shower, they both take place in (or around) the same cave, the one the substitutes find their magic weapons in before the OG 3.
It took me days to just finish this one test panel; how do people make entire webcomic pages in a week? They must be magicians.
Had a few different color schemes I played around with, but I’ll save that for a separate post.
[jean ralphio voice]: Inking is the ~WOOOORSSSTTTT~
Not the worst, however, is coloring, which I should’ve waited to do once I fixed the anatomy a little more, but this is mostly a test and I’m impatient.
Warmup gesture drawings, using this site for reference
30-60 seconds for each
The gang’s all here~
Sketched out a bunch more character passes in MangaStudio this time around for that webcomic idea. Body types and faces aren’t completely solidified yet, but I feel like I’m getting closer.
I also feel like Manga Studio is like 10x better for sketching than photoshop, and/or I was just in the zone tonight.
The Knight, the Mage, and the Engineer have journeyed for months, trained for years, all for this moment. This is the day that they finally receive their Pieces of Trinity, the fabled weapons destined to bestow upon them awesome power to defend their kingdom.
Except that they were beaten to the punch by three roommates in the normal world who found a series of really weird time-space rifts in their apartment, and apparently these Pieces of Trinity lock onto the first people that touch them.
Title is only a placeholder for now until I can think of something better.
Anyway, drew some quick mock-posters for the webcomic idea I’m thinking about. Will probably have to redraw Freddie holding the sword in the group shot as it definitely looks like she’s going to accidentally jab my boy, Emilio.
Almost forgot the link to the couch I referenced here
Sketching out characters I only have tentative plans for but am instantly in love with anyway